Flu & Covid Vaccinations 2023/24
Support Captain French Surgery this Flu/Covid season and book your vaccination now!
The flu and covid vaccinations will be given in one appointment on one of our Saturday dates! Appointments are bookable via the NHS app. If you are eligible you will be contacted by text.
PLEASE BE AWARE THE GOVERMENT GUIDANCE HAS BEEN UPDATED AND ALL 50-64 YEAR OLDS (NOT IN AN AT RISK GROUP) ARE NO LONGER ELIGIBLE FOR A FREE NHS FLU/COVID JAB
When are the clinics available to book?
- Our FINAL clinic is Thursday 26.10.23.
Who is at risk?
- If you are aged 65 years or over or if you are on regular inhaled steroids
- If you are under 65 and are at risk
- If you have a chronic respiratory disease (including asthma)
- If you have chronic heart disease
- If you have chronic renal disease
- If you are diabetic
- If you are pregnant
- If you have a BMI over 35
- If you have a weak immune system (immunosuppresed)
- If you live in a long-stay residential or nursing home
- If you have a chronic liver disease
- If you are a carer
- If you work in health or social care
Do I need to be protected against the Pneumococcal infection?
Everybody aged 65 and over should now be immunised to help protect them against pneumococcal infection which can cause diseases such as pneumonia, septicaemia (blood poisoning) and meningitis. Please phone the surgery during September to make an appointment if the above applies to you.
Am I eligible for the Shingles vaccine?
From 1 September 2023 the vaccine programme is being offered to the following:
- healthy people 70 to 79 years of age who have not been vaccinated
- people from 50 years of age with a severley weakened immune system
- healthy people aged 60 to 70 years will become eligible for the vaccine over the next 5 years, when they turn 65 or 70 years of age
You will remain eligible for the shingles vaccine until your 80th birthday (unless you have a weakened immune system), but the sooner you have the vaccine the earlier you will be protected.
There are 2 shingles vaccines, Zostavax and Shingrix. Your GP practice or local pharmacy will advise which is the right vaccine for you. Please contact the surgery if you are unsure if you are eligible.